Atlantic Practice Based Research Network (APBRN)

Send a Message

Address

Director, Primary Healthcare Research Unit
Professor of Family Medicine
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Room 424, Agnes Cowan Hostel
300 Prince Phillip Drive
St. John’s, NL. A1B 3V6
Phone: (709) 777-8373

Information

The Atlantic Practice Based Research Network (APBRN) is a network of primary care providers in Newfoundland and Labrador lead by Dr. Marshall Godwin (Director). The APBRN conducts and participates in clinical and health care delivery research in the primary care setting. Established in 2005, the APBRN was initially composed of a group of 35 physicians who were interested and willing to be approached to help with recruitment of patients for research studies. However, in the years since its inception the network has grown and now includes those who have also helped with the development of research ideas and have become co-investigators on research projects. To date, 117 physicians and nurses from the Province have signed on with APBRN. Seventy-eight of these practitioners are actively involved in projects conducted at the Primary Healthcare Research Unit of Memorial University. The focus of our current research is on prevention and management of chronic diseases, care of the elderly, natural health products, and lifestyle interventions.
Dr. Marshall Godwin is a family physician. He was born and raised in rural Newfoundland. In 1977 he graduated from Memorial University Medical School and then went on to complete his residency in Family Medicine at Dalhousie University in 1979. He is a certificant and a fellow of the College of Family Physicians of Canada. In 1998 he completed a Masters of Community Health and Epidemiology at Queen’s University. In 2000/2001 he spent a year as research fellow at the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine in Oxford and he was involved in a medical education project in Bosnia from 1997 – 2009. He has been part of the CPCSSN project since its inception in 2008. He is Director of the Atlantic Practice Based Research Network (APBRN), one of the founding networks of CPCSSN.

Dr. Godwin worked at the Department of Family Medicine, Queen’s University from 1993 to 2005 where he established and was first Director of the Centre for Studies in Primary Care. In 2005 he moved to Memorial University where he is currently Professor of Family Medicine and Director of the Primary Healthcare Research Unit. He has written 80 peer-reviewed journal articles, 2 medical books, several book chapters, and two novels. He has held a number of research grants from provincial and federal level granting agencies, such as CIHR and the Heart and Stroke Foundation. .

Dr. Marshall Godwin is primary care researcher. His work currently involves patient care for 30% of his time and research for the remaining 70%. His research is always in the primary care sector of health and focuses on chronic disease (especially cardiovascular disease such as hypertension and diabetes) and issues related to care of the elderly. He is principal investigator on grants from CIHR(2), Health Canada(1), and local provincial granting organizations(1).

Director

Marshall GodwinDr. Marshall Godwin, MD, CCFP

Data Manager

taoTao Chen, MSc

Tao Chen works with the Primary Healthcare Research Unit at Memorial University. Mr. Chen received his Master in Computer Science in 2008 and has more than 10 years experience in information system design and development. He is a PhD candidate in Information Systems at Memorial focusing on Health Informatics.

Subscribe for Latest News and Updates

© CPCSSN 2016. All Rights Reserved.
Designed & Developed by OAK Computing
Back to top

Submit your Feedback

      Sending...
x