Expand the tabs below for information about CPCSSN's data access fees.
Access to the Canadian CPCSSN data repository is available to researchers located at any of the following eligible institutions:
- Canadian post-secondary institutions and their affiliated institutions including hospitals and research institutes; or
- Canadian non-governmental, not-for-profit organizations (including community or charitable organizations) with an explicit health research or knowledge translation mandate; or
- Canadian federal and provincial/territorial government departments or agencies, including regional health authorities, when specific programs of those departments or agencies do not fund the activity that forms the subject matter of the grant; or
- Other organizations, as by determined CPCSSN, on the condition that the research or research-related activity falls within the principles espoused by publicly funded organizations such as CIHR
A cost recovery fee will be charged. Charges are based on a cost recovery for the following activities:
- Application support including answering questions regarding the approval process, application process, study population definition and suitability
- Application review and coordination
- Preparation of the approved data files
- The complexity of preparing a customized data cut
- Provision of the appropriate documentation (e.g. information sharing agreement, ethics certificate, etc.) to support the use of the data
- Support for use of the data, including answering questions about data fields and coding specifics
- A contribution to the ongoing operation and development of CPCSSN
Feasibility and cost estimate letters (FCEs) CPCSSN can provide a Feasibility and Price estimate letter that researchers can append to their grant applications. CPCSSN recommends that researchers submit a feasibility and price estimate request for budgeting purposes. This is an estimate of the CPCSSN price based on the researcher’s rough project parameters described in the feasibility and price estimate request form.CPCSSN staff may provide Researchers with a letter that indicates the feasibility of data access and/or linkage for their specified research topic, and an estimate of costs that may be used for budgeting.
- Feasibility cost estimate letters are project and grant specific; they should not be re-used for multiple grant applications
- Feasibility cost estimate letters do not include costs for data or other services that are not provided by CPCSSN
- Feasibility cost estimate letters are not approval letters; CPCSSN has no ability to influence approvals
- Feasibility cost estimates are broad in order to accommodate possible changes in the project through the grant application process
- Researchers must include the amount on the FCE in their budget submitted to the granting agency
- Projects that have not requested an FCE letter will be issued one upon initial work with CPCSSN on the DAR
- CPCSSN has made a commitment that charges will not exceed the amount on the FCE letter, provided the project remains substantially similar
CPCSSN is usually able to provide an feasibility cost estimate letter within two weeks.
Researchers are required to show proof of financial support, in order to proceed with the DAR process. Researchers must still show proof of peer review in order to satisfy DAR requirements.
Project Service Fees
Project service charges often fall between $5,000 to $20,000 per project. CPCSSN reserves the right to change its cost recovery structure at any time. The table below outlines the standard cost recovery model with services broken down into data, administrative and SRE (secure research environment) services.
Secure Research Environment Costs
Secure Research Environment charges start at $2,500 per annum for up to three users and vary slightly depending on the resources required by the project. The minimum billing increment is three months. Typically, the first two years are charged at the outset of the project, with additional Secure Research Environment needs being charged as needed.
CPCSSN Fee Schedule
|Secure Research Environment (SRE) Access Fee||Fee Amount|
|SRE initial access||$2,500 (3 users/1 year)|
|Additional user||$500 per person|
|Switch users||$100 per switch|
|Backup files recovery||$500 per request|
|Project Data Fee|
|Application review processing||$2,000|
|Additional customized data processing||$150 per hour depending on the expertise of the analyst|
|Data Analysis||$150 per hour depending on the expertise of the data analyst|